Pages

Tuesday, July 6, 2021

Trip Recount

Kia ora

Welcome back to my blog. In Term 2 we got told to make a recount of our trip to town.

I loved going to town and learning more about the history behind it. Have you ever been into town?

I hope you enjoy reading my blog.



On the 25th of May the Tumu hub headed down to town. We were going to find more about NZ Māori culture and

the story behind town. There were four rotations the first rotation of the day was the mats and eels we

walked around town looking at some mats that had been weaved out of concrete and put into the ground.

The mats where also designed that if a earthquake was ever to happen again they could get them out of

the ground and move them some where else with out damaging them. 

After the mats we walked down to the eels. Six at a time went down. The first group went. After sometime

it was my tern As I walked down the step I could smell the smell of fresh cat food that we were going to

feed the eels with. Because they had sharp teeth we all got handed a spoon to feed them with. I bent down

to give the cat food to them. They had long silky looks and cute green eyes. The biggest one looked at me

and took the food. I got a second helping of cat food and gave it to the eels once more again. 

After the mats and the eels we hoped on the waka. There were lots of ducks and swans on the Avon river.

He ha He ha we had started our chant as we sawed across the water. It was starting to make my arms tired but I

stayed on track.

 After the waka we heeded down to Victoria Square for our third rotation. There was a pou at the entrance

of Victoria Square. Crunch crunch we walked across the park standing and  looking about. We were told

to find some facts around the park. So off I headed with Jules. We found out that Victoria died on 2th of January. We had to draw a sketch of the pou to help us with our learning when we returned back to

school. We had lots of fun in the Victoria Square and now it was time to head back to Margaret mahy for

our last rotation.

 We were Now at our last rotation the teacher told us about the words on the concrete blocks. They were

engraved into the concrete. We found out that the words were a chant. We followed  the chant down the

concrete path. Then we were handed all a piece of paper to copy a engraved artwork. I used lots of

colours to create an artwork piece. Sadly it was time to hop onto the bus and head back to school,

I loved my time here and will miss it. It was so much fun to learn about our Tūrangawaewae and

the stories behind it all.




My favourite part of the trip was the waka because I have never had the opportunity to go in one.

I also love the waka because it helped me to work together as a team and I loved having races with the

other waka


Something I learnt was that the eels from the avon river go all the way up to tona to have there babies ( wow).

I also learnt that the bigger eels are the females and the smaller ones are the males. My last fact I learnt was

that eels do not now there age until they are ten years old so they can not have there babies until they are ten

years old.


The thing I found the most interesting was how we learnt about all the stories behind the mats and how

much the people had put into them. 


This trip has helped me with my PBL because I have now found so much about our town trip that

I will be able to find it so much easier to do my task 





1 comment:

  1. Hi Sophie how are you,
    I really enjoyed your blog post it was great but maybe next time you could write about why you went and what week you went.

    -Jules

    ReplyDelete

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - Begin with a greeting. Talk about something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A comment that will mean something to me to let me know you read/watched or listened to what I had to say. - use any language.
3. Something helpful - Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.
Encourage me to make another post